Monday, July 30, 2012

month of beauty: so small / so strong

My boy made porridge for us this morning.

I'd shown him how to do it about a week ago, but hadn't written a recipe down.

Down the stairs I came at 9am, after another really rough night of coughing and just-not-sleeping,

and there he was.

Standing by the stove, stirring.

He turned and said, "Mum, just go back to bed! I'll bring this up to you."

Turned out he'd looked up a recipe online, found all the ingredients, tweaked the recipe, sliced up bananas and stood, stirring, for the ages it takes to make porridge right.

You can imagine.


The light coming in quietly from the kitchen window,

the table set,

a boy making something for his mother.




I danced with my girl this evening.

I don't remember what we were listening to; it might have even been something she made up.

But I wrapped my arms around her and she wrapped her arms around me

and she sang her funny lyrics, grinning and grinning

as we swayed together.

So silly and jolly, and she had such an impish smile and at some point I laughed 'til I had to stop for coughing.

And she looked at me with so much love in her eyes

my heart swelled and swelled.



And I thought tonight

about things so small,

things you remember even though they are gone an instant later,

how something so small can become something so strong.






6 comments:

  1. I know just what you are talking about. Sometimes those small things are everything. A little moment that somehow says everything that matters all at once. So sorry you are sick - get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love from your babies makes it all better. What sweet kids you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. What a sweet home you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those stories. They make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. It reminds of that saying by unschooling mom, Pam Sorooshian, "As we get older and our kids grow up, we eventually come to realize that all the big things in our lives are really the direct result of how we've handled all the little things."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. We are so blessed to have such amazing, caring kids. I have already read your latest so I know you are better now. YAY!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your heartfelt, thoughtful responses—they lift me, and give me light.