Friday, April 16, 2010

mission

I've been homeschooling for a year now. A whole year! How'd that happen? I'm still feeling around, finding the homeschooling methods or philosophies that ring true for me. Some days I feel like an unschooler, through and through! Other days I am attracted to more structured methods, with leanings towards Charlotte Mason or Classical education. What seems to work for me is a mingling of many methods, usually prefaced by what my children want to learn. And this is always affected by whether they feel like "learning" in that moment, and how, in that moment, they are open to learning. Some days a workbook or lesson plan is exactly the structure my kids need; other days the only answer is the beach!

What I have realised above everything is that I want my children to have an education based on respect. I also want their education to have a global perspective. I want them to actively seek peace and have compassion for the earth and all living things. I want them to always treat others as they would want to be treated, with honesty and kindness. And I want them to like themselves.

The rest is just "stuff," just the stuff you pass through to move forward, time always moving, and you moving, pushing or simply waiting, breath held, to see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful it is that you can escape to the beach! Last year was our first year of homeschooling too. And we're still evolving as to our homeschooling method - sounds a lot like yours!

    cheers

    Liz (burfhe from TRP)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your heartfelt, thoughtful responses—they lift me, and give me light.